San Antonio Money Laundering Attorney
Experienced Defense Against Money Laundering Charges in Texas
When it comes to financial crimes, money laundering stands out as a serious offense that can lead to severe consequences. At Hernández Dauphin Legal, P.C., we are committed to delivering top-notch legal representation for individuals facing money laundering charges in Texas. Our San Antonio money laundering lawyer is here to protect your rights, build a strong defense, and guide you through the legal process.
Call Hernández Dauphin Legal, P.C. today at (210) 970-7019 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our money laundering lawyer in San Antonio.
What is Money Laundering?
Money laundering is a complex financial crime involving the process of making illegally received money appear legal by concealing its true source. This unlawful act often involves a series of financial transactions and transfers designed to obscure the origin of the funds. The primary goal of money laundering is to integrate ill-gotten gains into the legitimate financial system, making it difficult for law enforcement agencies to trace the funds back to criminal activities.
Money laundering can take various forms, including:
- Placement: This is the initial stage where illegally obtained funds are presented into the financial system. It may involve depositing large sums of cash into banks or purchasing valuable assets.
- Layering: In this phase, the money is subjected to multiple transactions, often across various financial institutions and countries, to create a complex web that confuses investigators.
- Integration: At this stage, the "cleaned" money is integrated into the legal economy, often through investments or purchases of assets, such as real estate, businesses, or luxury items.
What are the Penalties for Money Laundering in Texas?
Money laundering offenses in Texas are governed by state and federal laws, and penalties can be severe. If convicted, individuals may face:
- Criminal Charges: Money laundering charges can be filed as state or federal crimes, depending on the nature and scope of the illegal activities. Convictions may result in substantial fines and lengthy prison sentences.
- Asset Forfeiture: Law enforcement agencies have the authority to seize assets considered to be connected to money laundering. This can include bank accounts, properties, vehicles, and other valuable possessions.
- Collateral Consequences: A money laundering conviction can have lasting repercussions, including damage to one's reputation, making it challenging to secure future employment or financial opportunities.
- Restitution: Courts may order individuals convicted of money laundering to pay restitution to victims who suffered financial losses as an outcome of the criminal activity.
- Probation and Parole: Some individuals may be eligible for probation or parole, but these options come with strict conditions and supervision.
Defenses Against Money Laundering Charges
Some common defenses against money laundering charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: If it can be shown that you did not knowingly engage in money laundering or were unaware of the illegal source of the funds, it may serve as a valid defense.
- Mistaken Identity: If you were wrongly identified as the perpetrator, your attorney can present evidence to prove your innocence.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If evidence was acquired unlawfully through a violation of your Fourth Amendment rights, it may be inadmissible in court.
- Insufficient Evidence: The prosecution must be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed the crime. A strong defense can challenge the evidence presented and raise doubts about your guilt.
- Entrapment: If law enforcement officials coerced or induced you into committing money laundering, it may be considered entrapment and could serve as a defense.
Facing money laundering charges can be a terrifying experience, but you don't have to navigate it alone. At Hernández Dauphin Legal, P.C., our San Antonio money laundering attorney is committed to providing you with the vigorous defense you deserve. We will assess your case, explore defense strategies, and work tirelessly to protect your rights and interests. Contact us today, and let us help you navigate this challenging legal journey. Your future is too important to leave to chance.
Contact Hernández Dauphin Legal, P.C. today to get started with our San Antonio money laundering attorney.
So grateful to have had such an amazing attorney. India
Christine is trustworthy, knowledgeable and compassionate. She was outstanding at all times. Angelica
Juan Carlos Hernández and his team truly are the best! Edward